Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Knodcasts



What's better than knitting? Knitting while listening to someone talk about knitting, of course! Now that I'm an official subway commuter I've gotten more into listening to knitting podcasts, or "knodcasts" as I like to refer to them (Ok, I just made that up but am going to start calling them that from now on!)

My favorite knodcasts currently are Sticks & String, Knitpicks, Knit Science, and Stitch Stud and his Bride. I'm going to do a brief review of each one in upcoming blog posts.

Sticks & String is hosted by David Reidy, a teacher and knitting enthusiast who lives out in Australia. While the content is decent I'm a bit ashamed to admit I mostly enjoy listening to his accent. It makes it a little more interesting to hear him talk about "blokes" rather than men and "jumpers" instead of sweaters. He manages to strike a good balance between discussing his personal knitting projects and general knitting content. I especially enjoy the "essays" he reads on air about his opinions on knitting topics. The only slightly negative thing is the offbeat instrumental songs he includes to break up the first and second part of the podcast. The music is often hit-or- miss but you can always speed through that part if you want to.

Rating: 4 out of 5 DPNS's.

2 comments:

Alyssa said...

I don't know if I could pay attention to what he's saying. I love australian accents...if he was british it would be even worse.

Anonymous said...

I checked out the music (I knit a lot and love good music). My favorites of his choices are the Manor House String Quartet from show #35 Sept 9, (Sheep May Safely Graze by J.S. Bach is a BEAUTIFUL aria from the Hunt Cantata 208) , but I didn't find it today on the Aussie's link to their music prob'ly 'cause they recorded it for that podcast only...? manorhousemusic.co.uk/playlist.php

{here's a decent recording by a whole orchestra: Academy of St.-Martin-In-the-Fields (they're famous and great:)
youtube.com/watch?v=7jEXDPzqo2g&mode=
related&search=

and Show 33 and 28 had Heavy Mellow's music which is very good stuff; here's the link
magnatune.com/artists/albums/heavymellow
-horizons/

Great listening when stuck in crazy traffic and you need to just calm...
Now I am off to actually listen to the podcast!! Love, Knitterr