Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Return of the Knodcasts



My next favorite knitting podcast I'd like to review is the Knit Picks Podcast. As most of you know Knit Picks is a website that sells their own line of yarn and needles in addition to knitting books and accessories. Through some magic of either smart business practices or child labor (my theory) they sell their yarns at 1/3-1/2 the price of name brand yarns of the same fibers. I was skeptical of this knodcast when it first came out as I figured it was just another vehicle to push their yarns.

I was pleasantly surprised when I first listened to the knodcast to realize it was nothing of the sort. It's hosted by Kelley Petkun who owns the company. Her voice is very warm and comforting and sounds to me like the kind of aunt who would give you good advice but not judge you. The knodcast is obviously scripted and while some may argue that takes away from the spontaneity of the episodes I've actually come to prefer it. I find that without a script the speaker tends to ramble on and I end up fast forwarding my iPod until they (finally) get to the point.

Recent episodes I have enjoyed included how to teach someone else to knit, the properties of wool produced by different types of sheep, and the technical differences between balls, hanks, and skeins of yarn. She also throws in a couple book reviews and briefly discusses what she has on her needles at the moment. On one episode she did biographies of Knit Picks staffers but I found it interesting to hear about their career paths and how they ended up working at an online yarn store.

In short: a well thought out pleasant knodcast.

Rating: 4 out of 5 dpns

1 comment:

Alyssa said...

did you make that ipod holder? I like it.