Thursday, January 25, 2007

So since I completed my sweaters I churned out that chunky scarf and also matching scarf/hat set for JF. Now I'm just stuck. I tried to cast on for my "Glittens" convertible glove/mittens. I did the tricky 2x2 tubular cast-on and did the entire cuff before admitting they were just too small for my hands.

So I ripped it out, went up a couple needle sizes but just can't get that cast on to work. Sigh.
Then I picked up a few skeins of Tahki Ghost Print Yarn when I was up at WEBS in Northhampton, MA. I had this idea to make a pretty capelet. First I tried making up my own pattern from the top down with raglan shaping. Two skeins in I decided it didn't look right and ripped it out. Then I attempted the Acapella pattern from Knitty. I had to readjust the numbers for my bulky weight yarn. Again, 2 skeins in I decided it looked like a dead cat wrapped around my shoulders:


So now I ripped it out a second time and am casting on for a vest. If I like the way it's going I'll have to order a couple more skeins but I'm waiting to see if I like it first!
I hate it when knitting is frustrating rather than fun and relaxing. I thought I was over all that beginner frustration but I guess as you advance you keep hitting up against it with each new challenge.
I did fulfill one of my knitting New Year's Resolutions so far. The hat I made for JF was done using Magic Loop. No pic yet. It's blue using Lion Brand Kool Wool-a merino wool/acrylic blend. It came out a little short so I picked up around the brim and knit another inch or so. The only thing was I accidently did the ribbing differently. The original ribbing was a 2x2 rib but with seed stitch in the background rather than straight purl. The second ribbing was your standard knit 2, purl 2 ribbing. JF said he liked it that way and not to change it. Another unintended design feature!
Although I haven't yet gotten to my Fair Isle Sweater Resolution I am using Fair Isle techniques on the Glittens. I've knit with two colors before and just kept them both in right hand twisting them over each other each time. This time I tried knitting with one color in each hand. The yarn in the right hand is knit by wrapping and the yarn in the left hand is knit Continental style. I had heard of people doing that and thought I would never be able to do that. But after reading about it on the Yarn Harlot's blog I thought I'd give it a try. Amazingly I picked right up on it and started two handed knitting like I'd been doing it that way all along. I think it was because I recently showed someone how to knit continental style and even though I pretty much sucked at it something must have clicked in the meantime and Voila! That made it all the more bittersweet to have to rip out those Glittens since I was on a role. Well, I'm not giving up just yet. It's cooooold outside and I vow I will have these finished before it warms up again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi all!
xanax cheap xanax buy xanax online phentermine buy phentermine online phentermine cheap tramadol buy tramadol online tramadol cheap levaquin buy levaquin online levaquin cheap lnorvasc buy sex online babe online casino online casino online
lroulette online blackjack online lpoker online phentermine online xanax xanax buy phentermine phentermine buy phentermine cheap
Enjoy

lekkercraft said...

sorry to hear about your frustrations, but big props to you for trying new things and learning from them. Someday maybe even I will try to deviate from a pattern as written, lol ;)

ps - i love the colors you are using for your glittens. I hope they work out for you and would love to see them when they are all done!