Sunday, March 25, 2007

I was thinking as I walked home from work today (Yes, I know it's Sunday...no, it wasn't my choice to be there!) that we need a common project that is the opposite of the ubiquitous "garter stitch scarf." In conversation and blogversation (ooo, new word :-) people discuss the garter stitch scarf as often being the first project attempted by a beginner knitter (not that there's anything wrong with that!).

So in order for everyone to be on the same page I was thinking we needed a generic project to encompass something most advanced knitters work on. As I was trying to choose between Aran sweater and Entrelac socks I came to a realization. Like many things in life, as knitters, we all begin in the same place and end up in entirely different ones. Each one of us learned to cast on, knit, purl, and bind off either from a friend or family member or a book or website. We all sat there cursing the needles thinking we would never get the hang of it.

And for those of us that became enamored with knitting no two are the same. I know very skilled knitters who focus mostly on delicate lace shawls or cabled socks or steeked sweaters. Knitting takes you as far as your skill and imagination is willing to go. So I suppose the garter stitch scarf really has no equivalent on the other side of the spectrum. Anyway, "intarsia jacket in fingering weight yarn with bust dart" just doesn't sound as catchy!

No comments: