Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Baby's First Pacifier Clip



I wanted to knit something for my niece, Ainsley's, first Hanukah. At the book signing for Itty Bitty Nursery at Knitty City in November the author, Susan B. Anderson, had displayed some adorable looking pacifier clips. Then I remembered that in the goodie bag from Stitch 'n Pitch
back in August a free pattern for said pacifier clip had been included in a promotional brochure from the book! It's also available free from the author's blog here.


Truthfully, I had never heard of a pacifier clip before. It's basically a device that you attach to the pacifier on one side and clip onto the child's clothing on the other side. That way when the child inevitably opens their mouth the pacifier just hangs down rather than falling on the ground and getting dirty. To make the project you need to buy the clips at Target or anywhere that sells baby supplies and cut out the ribbon that comes with it. Then you knit your own flower and sew it onto the clip. If you get the book Itty Bitty Nursery she has also patterns for an elephant and a frog that are really cute.




I'm happy with the way it turned out. I used Paton's Cotton Grace in Rose, Ginger, and Blush. I found the directions were a bit vague with how to assemble all the pieces so I had to kind of make it up as I went. I also found it necessary to sew the petals down onto each other to avoid their tendency to otherwise flop all over the place.

If you're making one of these remember to pick up a matching pacifier so it makes a complete gift when you present it. Also, you might want to hint around to see if the mother has an anti-pacifier philosophy. Otherwise your beautiful creation may just sit in a drawer rather than being used and enjoyed!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

It came out so cute. I'm totally going to need the pattern when my brother decides to have kids. Can't wait to see you tomorrow!

Carol said...

Code Purl - that's the most darling pacifier thingy I've ever seen. Very cute.

Alyssa said...

The pictures arent loading! I want to see it, I know it will be so cute!